Saturday, March 28, 2009

Life

I never knew what life was until he came. My Words Pushed people away. My Days were spent talking of life as if it were some dead thing that interested me in only the most abstract way. I was just a shell filled with what others said. A sheep they could lead anywhere they wanted.
I filled my head with lies. I could make myself believe, ''I'm not lonely. I don't need love.'' He saw through my lies. I resisted as his hands tried to pull me back into life. I was Incapable of love. I would just hurt him. his lips kept asking. But i couldn't understand. ''NO'' was the only word i knew. he kept asking.
The 1st week i looked at myself. What did he see? my eyes were their same dull colour. My hair went in as many different directions as it always had. I could still hear his words. Why did he love me? My heart jumped. I wanted to know. His face lost all colour when i finally said ''YES".
As i sat in the back row with my arm around him, i could suddenly see what the couple on the screeen were seing in each other's eyes. I can still remember the moment when we said our good-byes. The soft glow from the porch light. The way our lips fumbled together. His eyes as they sparkled while he gradually drifted away. I would sell my soul to live this moment again. His soft giggle as his dad's voice called his inside will always haunt me....
The world that greeted me the next day wasn't the same one i'd lived in for 17 years. Something had changed as i danced home. The world was softer. Safer. He taught me to listen. I could feel what i had tried to ignore my whole life. For the 1st time. I could talk of myself. My mind started racing. If he could care so deeply for me, waht about others? My family. My friends. I began to giva back the love i felt. I caught myself smiling the other day. I'll probably try it again.
Before, i thought of love as some dead thing that could never affect me. My words would protect me. He gelped topple my house of lies. I knew what love is . I can understand what life is . He taught me more thn any book ever could. I know who i am. I never knew waht life was until i met him.

0 comments: